Mosaic Grille & Bar - French Chef Tasting Menu ~ Eating With Kirby

6 October 2013

Mosaic Grille & Bar - French Chef Tasting Menu

Chef Thomas is at it again with another beautifully constructed chef tasting menu. This time, it is inspired by French cuisine. 

When I think of French food, I instantly imagine escargot, foie gras, frites, and sweetbreads. Chef Thomas incorporated many of the popular elements of French cuisine that I thought of as well as incorporated a bit of his own style and ingredients as well.

First up was the Foie Gras Parfait which was paired with little balls of apple, marcona almond butter, and calavados. I am normally accustomed to eating pungent foie gras so this mousse was a bit too light on flavour for me. Presentation wise however, was sublime. Who woulda thought of using a mirror as a presentation piece?

I absolutely adore Escargot so I was excited to see that this was on the menu. These Burgundy snails were little balls of buttery goodness. I particularly liked the creativeness of presentation, imitating dirt and grass by placing pumpernickel crumbs, garlic chips, and micro greens all around.

This was the absolute winning dish of the night. The Lobster Thermidor with kale nori, lobster roe pomme puree, and a sous vide lobster tail had both me and Curtis' hearts after the first bite. The lobster tail was cooked for 20 minutes at 120 degrees which allowed it to lose some of its elasticity and 'snap'. The result was a buttery, melt in your mouth piece of lobster meat that I would easily pay big bucks for.

The Duck A L'Orange was one of the most tender duck breasts I've ever had. Paired with the orange leather piece, the flavours completely changed and became an amazing combination of sweet, sour, and savoury.

To complete the meal, we were served the Mille-Feuille which consisted of a poached pear, puff pastry layers alternating with lemon cream and vanilla salted chocolate. I thought it would be heavy due to the puff pastry but it was surprisingly light as can be. Needless to say, this was the perfect way to end the night.

The 5 course French Chef Tasting Menu is on until October 18th for $55. In my opinion, the lobster dish in itself is worth the money.

Happy Eating!

  Mosaic Grille & Bar on Urbanspoon

0 reacties:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...