Koto Izakaya- Home Of The Sugar-filled Sukiyaki Hotpot ~ Eating With Kirby

7 June 2012

Koto Izakaya- Home Of The Sugar-filled Sukiyaki Hotpot

Only recently did I find out about this place called Koto Izakaya in Richmond. I pass by this restaurant all the time on Hazelbridge but it looks dead (from the outside) every time I see it so I thought nobody ever goes there. Oh how wrong was I.


I came here after 9pm one day after work and to my surprise the place was packed.

The only area that was empty was the bar so I sat here. I did notice during my dinner that this establishment is Chinese (specifically Hong Kong) owned. They even greet and speak Cantonese to the customers.

They have a special late night menu and some items on there include sashimi, nigiri sushi, appetizers, cones, makis...etc.

On the other side, they have late night bento boxes for $9.99 if you are in the mood.

The Salmon/Toro Sashimi ($4.95) was of a pretty good size and tasted fresh. The toro in particular was very good.

The Tobiko Salad ($2.99) was much smaller than I expected but it was not bad. I probably wouldn’t get this again though. 

Since I love my scallops, I ordered two Spicy Scallop Cones ($3.98) and a Chopped Scallop roll ($2.99). :D Does anybody not like scallops? I find them so tasty and best of all, they are low in calories!

As you can see, I was much disappointed from the lack of filling in the roll. I understand it was only three dollars, but the scallop to rice ratio was just really off.

If I had known the cones would contain so much filling, I would have only gotten cones! The spicy chopped scallop filling was really good and the filling ran all the way to the bottom which was great. I hate eating sushi cones that only have filling on the top and all rice on the bottom.

If you know me, you know that I eat everything and anything! Hearts included! It was my first time so I was a little skeptical of the taste, but the Yaki Heart ($3.50) ended up tasting like gizzard or just chewy meat.

This Sukiyaki Hotpot Mini ($5.50) was the most expensive item of the night and was the most disappointing. It looked alright but the taste was just really really bad.

The beef, vegetables, and yam noodles were okay in itself but the Sukiyaki broth was pure sugar. It was so sweet I couldn’t even finish more than half a bowl. I would never ever recommend this item to anyone.

All in all, I don’t understand why so many people come here because I didn’t find any of their items that amazing. Their late night prices also were not cheaper than Matsuyama so I would probably just stick with Matsuyama for late night Japanese eats.

Service Rating: 2/5
Food Rating: 2/5
Price: $$

Overall Rating: 2/5

Happy Eating!

Koto Izakaya Sushi & Robata on Urbanspoon

2 reacties:

  1. Yea the food here is really quite bad and the raw items are not very fresh. The worst part is the customer service though. I don't remember the exact details, but this lady (I think the owner) had a really bad attitude when I had questions about the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about the food and service. Nothing particularly bad happened during my dinner but something just didn't feel right and I probably would not come back again.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...