Product Review: Skillet Bacon Jam - Bacon-y Goodness ~ Eating With Kirby

20 April 2012

Product Review: Skillet Bacon Jam - Bacon-y Goodness

If you have been regularly reading my posts, you may have noticed that I have a slight obsession with bacon. Especially bacon and chocolate. :D That is why I’m excited to introduce not only my first product review, but this product of epic bacon-ness.

The people from Skillet were kind enough to send me a sample of their signature “Bacon Jam” all the way from Seattle. Chef Josh Henderson started this company in 2007 and it was originally a street food concept. Since then, they have grown dramatically and they have now expanded to the catering business (ex. weddings, corporate events, private parties) as well as the food products business.

The Bacon Jam consists of rendered bacon along with a bunch of spices and onions. It is simmered for about 6 hours and then pureed, blast chilled, and packaged. When I first opened the cap and took a whiff, I was completely caught off guard. I didn’t expect the bacon smell to be so powerful but it was!

I first tried it plain on a piece of pita cracker so I could taste it without any frills or embellishments.  All you taste is smokey bacon. It was awesome. Also, a little bit of this jam goes a long way so my small sample actually lasted me a while.

Next, I tried the bacon jam with another cracker and this time, with the brie that I bought from the states!

It was oh so fatty but oh so good.

On another occasion, I decided to make some bacon croissants with my girlfriends! We just used the regular Pillsbury croissant dough and spread some bacon jam on it before rolling them up.

Viola! In addition to the bacon croissants, we made some chocolate croissants and cheese croissants too!

They looked so pretty out of the oven. :)

The bacon croissant was really delicious! All my girlfriends really loved how flavourful the bacon jam was and it paired greatly with the croissants.

I really wanted to use the bacon spread in as many different ways as I could so I tried adding them in my stuffed mushrooms. All I did was take out the core of the mushroom buttons, stuff them with shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese, drop a dollop of the bacon spread, and top it off with chopped green onion.

Before heading into the oven.

Here is the finished product. I really enjoyed the extra depth of flavour that the bacon spread brings to the stuffed mushrooms. As well, with the little dollop of bacon, it instantly made these little mushrooms a bit heartier and more man friendly. Everyone in my family, including my brother, liked it!

I definitely enjoyed this sample very much and it’s an interesting specialty product that you can use to show off to your foodie friends. :P If you are from Canada or the US, you can order your own Skillet Bacon Jam at www.skilletstreetfood.com or you can also visit the selected stores that carry this bacon jam such as Market Meats on West 4th Avenue, Gourmet Warehouse on East Hastings St, and Well Seasoned Gourmet Foods, Inc in Langley (visit this website for details).

As always, Happy Eating!

4 reacties:

  1. What an interesting idea!
    Your paired recipe are really genius as well. I love the croissants!
    Seems like it would be much healthier as opposed to the real thing. I'll have to give it a try I think.

    The Wanderfull Traveler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Murissa! I actually am not sure if this is a much healthier alternative to the real thing but it sure is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://ourdailygreenlife.blogspot.com/2011/04/skillet-bacon-jam-green.html

    I love Bacon Jam, too. I reviewed it last yr., and you have some great ideas for it! "everything IS better with bacon" right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks FreshGreenKim! I wanted to use the bacon jam in unconventional ways so those were what I came up with. Glad you liked them!

    Agreed. Everything IS better with bacon :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...