Breakfast with Kirby- Omelette? Quiche? Frittata!! Recipe ~ Eating With Kirby

14 September 2011

Breakfast with Kirby- Omelette? Quiche? Frittata!! Recipe


I realize not a lot of people know what a frittata is because when I mentioned it to my friends, all I got were confused faces. O.o A frittata is essentially an egg based dish that is like a quiche without the pie shell. The Italian word frittata derives from fritto, which means "to fry", and was originally a general term for cooking eggs in a skillet, and could range from fried egg to omelette. Instead of flipping the eggs over like an omelette, you let it sit and cook on low heat until the underside is set and the top is still runny. Then the traditional way is to put it in the oven to finish it off. In my version, I choose to put the lid on and steam it instead of baking it in the oven.


I wanted to put in so many things so I kinda went all out with my 'add on' ingredients as you can see. I included one tomato, some turkey bacon, havarti cheese, and baby spinach.

I like my eggs a bit more smooth and fluffy so I added a dash of milk to my 3 egg mixture. If you always wondered how to make omelettes really fluffy and light, the key is the dash of milk and whipping it really hard to create a lot of air.


When you combine all the ingredients together, it looks like this! Just pour everything into a skillet and let it cook on low heat. Stir lightly and occasionally until the mixture is about 80% done.

It should look like this. The top is still a bit runny because there is no direct heat to cook that area of the skillet. But that's okay because people now either put the skillet in the oven and bake it for a 5-10 minutes until everything is fully cooked, or eat it as is. I chose the latter because I like my eggs runny. I find that it will continue to cook itself regardless, so at the end, it is not as undercooked as it looks.


See? I can even cut them into slices (by the way, frittatas are eaten in slices, like a pizza)!!



This recipe is super duper easy and it makes for a hearty and nutritious breakfast. :) You can definitely substitute any of my 'add-on' ingredients to whatever you have in your fridge/freezer. Frittatas are very versatile.



Ingredients:

  • 3 eggs
  • 2-3 tablespoons of milk
  • 1 small tomato
  • handful of spinach
  • one slice of turkey bacon
  • a handful of shredded cheese (I used Havarti)
  • salt and pepper to taste



1. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper

2. Mix the rest of the ingredients into the egg mixture and pour into a skillet

3. Cook the mixture on low to medium heat and stir occasionally

4. When the edges start to brown and the egg mixture solidifies, remove from heat

5. Put the lid of the skillet on and let it continue to cook itself (off heat) for at least 5 minutes until    the slightly runny top also begins to solidify

6. Slice into wedges and serve

Makes 1- 2 Servings

Rae and I made a frittata about a month ago and it looked like this. We used 6 eggs for this one and honestly, it looked better because it was humongous and you could hold even more ingredients! Muahaha. I would suggest making frittatas with 6 eggs if you have people to share it with :) 


Happy Eating!

0 reacties:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...