Red House- Another Average HK Style Cafe ~ Eating With Kirby

14 October 2011

Red House- Another Average HK Style Cafe

Red House is located on Hazelbridge road in Richmond, and is the replacement of the previous “Boston Steakhouse”. Their decor and menu seemed pretty much the same so I don’t know what was improved or different except their name.


 Kirbro had their Baked Spaghetti Bolognese ($7.95) and he said it wasn’t that good. His standards are pretty low already so if he said it’s not good, it probably is pretty bad.

 I had their Baked Portuguese Style Lamb with Rice ($7.95) and it was surprisingly very tasty! I particularly liked the tenderness of the lamb and the fact that it wasn’t gamey. The one thing I didn’t like, or wish they could improve on, were the raisins they sprinkled on top of the dish. They got burnt in the oven (since this dish is baked) so they taste like little blobs of charcoal. Other than that, I’d recommend this dish. :P

 This is the Baked Portuguese Style Chicken with Rice ($7.95). It’s essentially the same dish as one above except the meat is chicken. Again, you can see the little ‘blobs of charcoal’. LOL

Another dish that exceeded my expectations was the Spare Rib w/ Black Bean Sauce on Rice. I am not 100% sure if that’s the exact name, but it’s probably close to it. This dish was very flavourful and not overly salty. 

The spare ribs were plentiful and very tender (same as the lamb).

 I gotta say, if you want a lot of meat for cheap, come here. When I saw Kirma’s order of Barbequed Garlic Short Ribs on Rice ($7.95), we were both surprised at the amount of meat they gave for a 7.95 dollar dish. She had three full ‘strips’ of the short rib which resulted in her eating half and giving the rest of them to my brother and I.

At Red House, they have the ever-so-popular, Choose Your Own Noodle Combo (~$8.95) (started by Deer Garden) where you get to choose three toppings, a soup base, and a type of noodle. I chose Laksa as my soup base, rice noodle as my carbs, and taro, squid balls, and beef tendon.

The Laksa broth was not overly spicy and had nice hints of coconut in it. I was glad to see that the taro was not too mushy and that the squid balls were pretty fresh which gave them a bouncy, chewy texture.


 It comes with a drink so I got Iced Milk Tea. It tasted nice, pretty average.

 Kirbro ordered this crazy “Red House Meat Platter (~$16)” or something like that which consisted of a sausage, fried fish cutlet, beef steak, two chicken wings, a pork chop, and a chicken fillet on a hot iron platter. This is definitely for the true carnivore out there.

And of course, the meaty meal would not be complete without mashed potatoes and gravy. It also comes with a free drink.

Based on these reasons:
  • affordable prices
  • give you bang for your buck (in terms of meat at least)
  • they have enormous booths which make them super comfy to dine in :P
  • average HK style cafe
Service Rating: 3/5
Food Rating: 3/5
Price: $-$$ (less than $20)

Overall Rating: 3/5

Happy Eating!

<-- so much meat =.=

Red House 紅屋 on Urbanspoon

0 reacties:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...